Friday, October 7, 2011

Veganmofo: Cheddar Onion Biscuits:Cooking from the Mofo Feed

During one of my feverous Mofo Reader comment-a-thons I came across Mo's post on Best Thing You Never Ate where she posted these amazing biscuits!
So simple and flavourful, they come together quickly. I wasn't making gravy but I wanted a flavourful biscuit for breakfasts and to round out my lunches. Plus Diaya's been on sale here recently so I have a stock pile and Green onions were 99cents!

I followed Mo's Recipe with the following changes:
  • I subbed Earth Balance Margerine for Shortening (because I oddly had none left)
  • And I subbed 1 cup of WW Flour for the white and used WW to roll out the dough.
  • Used a sili-pad to bake them on, so I didn't bother with the greasing
  • I did a soy milk brush glaze on the second batch to go into the oven as well as played with some shapes.
The almond milk didn't seem to curdle as much as I expected, but I added it anyway. I also seem to have lost my Pastry Cutter, so I used my Mezzaluna and some butter knives/forks. It worked out OK, not supper pebbly but manageable.

I used a mason jar to cut my biscuits and played with the remaining dough to make tiny hand pies and some braids to see how they'd bake up!

The first batch cut with mason jars and rolled maybe 1 inch thick? Were in for 25 minutes before I checked on them.They didn't brown a whole lot on the top, but the were pretty firm. The second free-formed batch where much bigger and I think that helped them to get a flakier texture.
Sorry about the bad lighting. But there had to be a fresh outta the oven shot.
It turns out the smaller, denser biscuits that were rolled pretty thin because extra fluffy when microwaved the next day. All and all these are super flavourful and pretty damn tasty biscuits to stuff your face with!
I used a silipat  to bake mine, 





7 comments:

Pj said...

Those look like great fall biscuits. Can't wait to try them!

vegan.in.brighton said...

Yummm, I'm excited to see those biscuits in my Google reader again! They look great.

Love said...

Wow, imagine those with a bowl of tomato soup!

jd said...

Stop it. You're killing me with those biscuits!

Johanna GGG said...

these look yum! I love these sort of bakes!

now are pastry cutters the things that you cut butter into flour with? I have heard of them but have only ever rubbed butter into flour with my finger tips - highly recommend it if that is what you have lost!

B.A.D. said...

Yeah the pastry cutter is what I lost. So sad.

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of cooking from the feed! I've actually been considering giving in to the mofo and making things from the feed since day 2. there are just so many yummy things i would like to try! these biscuits for one...