As you will likely be gutting all kinds of these seed filled gems, I figured I do a quick post on how to prep your seeds for roasting and eating.
- Gut your squash. Spoon all the stringy seedy mess into a light mess straigher.
- Running warm water over the mess, squish with your hands to seperate the seeds form the orange muck.
- Remove orange muck into compost and continue rinsing until seeds are clear and clean.
- Allow seeds to fully dry.
- Pre-heat a cast iron skillet with a light coating of oil.
- Add dry seeds and toast over medium high heat 5-10 minutes or until browned. Tossing with seasoning of choice. Splatter guards are your friend!
Seasoning options include
- coarse sea salt
- dill and thyme (and salt)
- Coarse pink and black pepper with salt
- Chili powder, paprika and garlic salat
- Cinnamon and sugar, finely ground
- Cinnamon sugar and cayanne
- Cajun mix
- Cumin, Coriander, Salt, ground mustard seed and curry powder
- Oregano, thyme, sage, poultry spice and vegan-chicken-stock-powder
- Nooch, salt, paprika and garlic