Sunday, January 27, 2008

Iron A-hoy!

Breakfast Rich in Iron. Potatoes and Kale!

As some may know, that year in res killed my iron supplies. So they are low (not anemic or dangerous or unhealthy in any way). However, despite the goodness of my health, I like having an iron supply should i ever be forced to go without decent human vegan food again.

Cue farmers market and a big old batch of kale (mmm kale).

So with my bounty and no recipes I set out to make myself this breakfast, and I think it went quite well.
Kale For Breakfast (or any other meal)
*Feeds one small small person, double as needed

what you will need:
  • A handful of kale (you may want to chop/tear it more than I did, these huge leaves were not bite size)
  • 4 potatoes
  • One large garlic clove
  • Half a large onion
  • Paprika
  • Pepper
Spiced salt
Room mate's lemon juice (shhh)



Directions:
First wash and then chop all your potatoes into small cubes and toss in boiling salted water.

Take out your kale and rinse well (make sure no dirt is hiding in the folds, or don't because what do I care it's your digestive tract). Tear or chop kale to desired sizes and place inside a shifter/mesh basket on top of potatoes to steam a little.


While the kale is softening and the potatoes boil away (keep an eye that they don't boil over). Dice your onion and preheat a cast iron skillet (more iron!). As you chop and the skillet heats consider something nice you can do for someone today or some other happy thought. Toss some EB (earth Balance) into the skillet (oil also works, olive is preferred) heat and move until pan is coated. Add in onions and toss around.






Now use your knife to crush the garlic (place garlic on board and knife horizontal/on its side atop your monster clove and push down with your hand (Mind the blade! but I am sure you knew this). Once properly crushed chop garlic and add to onions which should now be translucent and fragrant.

As onions and garlic fry toss in pepper and paprika (as much as desired, for me this is a lot).

check the kale, if its softish you can take it off the potato pot and dumb into your pan which should be frying blissfully away.

Fry kale and re-season as you like (except spiced salt, save this for serving time). Continue to fry as potatoes boil.

Check your taters with a fork after 20ish minutes, they should be soft. If not leave until they are, then drain and add to skillet.

Fry everything until good and cooked. If simply heated is your thing then eat away, I like a bit of crunch/char on my taters/veggies. So I leave it on for a little longer. Once you have reached your desired cooked status take a few squirts of someone else's lemon juice and cook some more.
Now your ready to toss onto a plater and season with spiced salt (and more pepper). Enjoy!

2 comments:

Melisser; the Urban Housewife said...

Mmm, I'll have to try kale for breakfast!

Anonymous said...

People should read this.